12 juni 2011

A new Hindhi Zara

I never really understood why everyone was raving about Hindi Zahra. Or, I think I understood why, but found it ungrounded. Now I'm not so sure. Last night she made an awesome appearance at Clandestino festival, taking a big step away from the singer/songwriter esthetics that surrounds much of her work.
More surprises, good ones, were dub step dj Uzul and after him Gnawa Diffusion founder Amazigh Kateb, who doesn't only have a  name to die for, but also have incorporated elements (and some entire songs) of chaabi and raï in his repertoire.
More of all that in tomorrow's paper. And I wont link to any of Zara's songs, the studio versions don't do her performance yesterday any justice.

Here's the review in Svenska Dagbladet.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar